DrayTek Vigor AP 918R Wireless Access Point
Draytek VigorAP 918R Outdoor Access Point
VigorAP 918R - Dual-band. Pole/wall mounted. Ruggedized IP67. PoE. Supports Mesh
- Business-class wireless access point
- 802.11ac & 802.11n
- Simultaneous dual-band (2.4/5Ghz)
- Support for 5Ghz Extended Channels (100-140)
- Gigabit Ethernet Switch (4+1 Ports)
- Centrally managed or standalone operation
- Central Management supports mobility, load-balancing, monitoring, status, upgrade and configuration
- Local temperature monitoring/logging
(Optional thermometer accessory required)
- 802.3af PoE (Power-over-Ethernet) as standard
- WPA2 Wireless Encryption
- Repeater/Bridge/Access Point & WDS
- Time-Scheduled Operation
- Bandwidth management per SSID
- 802.1q VLAN Tagging
- Client Isolation & Multiple SSIDs
- MAC Address Filtering
- Radius / WPA & 802.1x User Authentication
- Built-in Site Surveyor
- Wall Mountable
Outdoor Access Point
The VigorAP 918R is an access point designed for continuous outdoor operation, providing strong wireless signal outdoors. This long range AP outputs a strong signal to clients, then amplifies distant or weaker signals. This allows it to communicate with mobile devices at distances of 100 to 200 meters outdoors, or laptops with more powerful antennas at even greater distances.
Fully IP67 compliant, the product can work in extremes of heat, cold, dirty and wet environments. It is dust and water resistant and housed in a robust metal case to withstand harsh environments.
When we say 'ruggedised', this product has been designed from scratch, using high-tolerance components and designed to perform in all supported environments, in operating temperatures of well below freezing up to 70 ° Centigrade. This isn't our indoor product 'put in a fancy box' and hoping for the best.
Power-over-Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet Ports
The VigorAP 918R series is powered through standard IEEE 802.3af/at Power over Ethernet (PoE). This allows the VigorAP to be placed in locations where it's not easily possible to source power. It can also make use of PoE switch features such as scheduling and Device Check to ensure the access point is always operating reliably.
The Gigabit LAN port on the VigorAP 918R ensures that the AP is fed at the maximum speed, in order to fully satisfy the full speed of both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz bands simultaneously.
The VigorAP 918RPD model adds a secondary LAN port, which provides PoE Output (PoE-PSE) to power an additional PoE device through a single cable run. This makes it possible to connect a camera or daisy-chain an additional AP through the one cable.
To power additional devices through the VigorAP 918RPD's secondary LAN port, use the VigorPoE-600 High-Power PoE Injector. This powers both the VigorAP 918RPD and provides up to 16 watts to an additional device, over a 100 meter CAT5e/CAT6 cable run.
Dual Band 11ac Wave 2 Access Point
The VigorAP 918R is an 802.11ac Wave 2 access point, improving performance by increasing the amount of data that can be sent at one time. 11ac Wave 2 uses MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multiple In, Multiple Out) technology to boost performance & capacity, building upon the Single-User (SU-MIMO) technologies introduced with 802.11n.
The VigorAP's MU-MIMO technology when used with MU-MIMO capable wireless clients, allows each antenna (or Spatial Stream) to send to separate wireless clients at the same time, potentially doubling the data transmission rate to clients.
A typical wireless access point can send data to only one client at a time with its radio. With enough users connected, congestion slows down transfer speeds more & more, as the AP is shared between more clients.
This can be particularly useful in locations with many phones, tablet and laptops connecting, where the VigorAP's more efficient transmissions could allow each access point to serve more clients than an 802.11ac Wave 1 or 802.11n access point.
Directional Antenna for Point-to-Point Wireless Links
The VigorAP 918RPD variant of the VigorAP 918 series has an integrated High-Gain directional antenna for linking two locations, using 5GHz 802.11ac MIMO wireless. This High-Gain antenna makes it possible to link two points with line-of-sight wirelessly over 1km at up to 90 Mbps throughput, or 3km at 10 Mbps throughput.
Configure the AP's 5GHz wireless to use the Patch antenna and configure the APs in Mesh Root & Node, then aim the access points using the Signal Strength LEDs located on the bottom of each VigorAP 918RPD access point.
The VigorAP 918RPD is designed to be mounted on a wall or pole - fixing brackets are included with the product, allowing the VigorAP to be fitted at up to 45 ° up & down and/or left & right. With its dual Omni-Directional antennas and internal High-Gain Directional antenna (switchable), it can be used as a wireless access point or Point-to-Point wireless link between buildings.
DrayTek's VigorAP access points have many features designed to improve wireless performance on your network, to ensure that every wireless client gets the best possible experience. Learn More
Temperature & Humidity Sensor
To ensure that the VigorAP 918R is operating correctly, it has an integrated temperature and humidity sensor.
The VigorAP 918R can send alerts via Syslog or E-mail, should the VigorAP's internal temperature or humidity exceed the intended levels, or the specified temperature ranges. Giving you an early warning of any possible problems with the access point without checking it directly.
The VigorAP also stores logs of its temperatures, which can be checked in the web interface, with graphs showing up to the last 14 days, to easily keep track of the temperature and humidity conditions for each access point.
Mesh Wireless links VigorAP access points across both Wi-Fi and Wired links to cover a large area with a single Wireless network, spanning multiple Wireless Access Points and easily managed from the Mesh Root VigorAP or with the DrayTek Wireless app.
The Mesh Root VigorAP links up to your existing Internet router, such as the DrayTek Vigor 2862 and additional VigorAPs join up as Mesh Nodes, which connect wirelessly to the Mesh Root.
Your devices see a single Wi-Fi network (SSID) and connect to the nearest VigorAP in the Mesh, instead of a distant Wi-Fi network with low signal. Internet connectivity relays through the Mesh, using the up to 866Mbps 5GHz wireless as the backhaul link, to relay between Mesh Nodes and avoid long waits for downloads.
Wireless Security & VLANs
The VigorAP 918R features multiple levels of wireless security. Encryption using WPA2 is available and you can also use the access control list (ACL) to specify the hardware addresses of clients which are permitted to connect (by MAC hardware address). Any unauthorised hardware is refused access.
For additional user authentication, you can have the VigorAP 918R authenticate clients with an 802.1x RADIUS (Remote Authentication Dial-in User Service) server, or use its internal RADIUS server.
The VigorAP 918R supports the 802.1q VLAN protocol so that if it is connected to an 802.1q enabled LAN, it can split tagged data (whether it's different subnets or intended for different users) and broadcast each on its own SSID. This means, for example, that your guest WiFi access is provided on a separate isolated SSID with no access to your company data.
Easy Setup with the DrayTek Wireless app
DrayTek's Wireless app assists you with setting up VigorAP access points.
Once installed on your Smartphone or Tablet, use the Quick Start Wizard to set your VigorAPs to operate as a Mesh Wireless network. Set up a single VigorAP 918R as a stand-alone Access Point, or extend an existing wireless network as a Range Extender.
Use the Quick Start Wizard configure your wireless network with step-by-step guidance for AP, Mesh and Range Extender modes.
AP & Repeater Modes
The VigorAP 918R can be used as a stand-alone Wireless Access Point, to provide wireless connectivity for a router or network that doesn't currently have wireless.
Access Point mode can create up to 4 separate Wireless networks (or SSIDs). The VigorAP 918R can provide completely separate private and guest wireless networks through the use of 802.1q VLAN tags with a router or network that supports VLAN tagging, such as the DrayTek Vigor 2862 router.
Range Extender (or Universal Repeater) mode allows the VigorAP 918R to extend the wireless coverage of any existing wireless network. In this mode, the VigorAP 918R connects to a remote wireless network, allowing it to provide Internet and Network access to wireless clients that connect to the VigorAP 918R's wireless network.
Mesh - Auto-Optimisation
A DrayTek Mesh Wireless network can easily add new Mesh Nodes and self-organises links between up to 8 DrayTek VigorAP access points, to ensure the best possible speeds.
If a Mesh Node's wireless uplink drops out, for instance if there's interference or the VigorAP it connects to is turned off, each Mesh VigorAP automatically re-connects to the next available point to resumes service without any manual intervention required.
Alternatively, where a network connection is available for a VigorAP, join a Mesh Node to the network through ethernet and nearby wireless Mesh Nodes can join it instead of the Mesh Root to reduce wireless hops and increase possible Mesh throughput.
Multi-SSID over Mesh
DrayTek's Mesh system supports 802.1q VLAN tagging for its multiple Wireless networks (or SSIDs), over both wireless and wired Mesh links between VigorAPs.
Each SSID provided by the Mesh network can have a VLAN tag assigned to it. VLAN tags are interpreted by the network's router and switch(es) to segregate one network from another. For instance keeping devices connecting to a guest network separate from resources on the private, internal network.
Setting up a Mesh network to work with VLANs only requires setting up the Mesh Root with the VLAN tags on its SSIDs. This change propagates to Mesh Nodes when syncing the configuration between access points and Multi-SSID over Mesh can be used just like a cabled network of access points. (requires firmware upgrade, est.Q1'20)
Central Management with DrayTek VigorACS
The DrayTek VigorAP 918R can be managed by the DrayTek VigorACS central management system - a cloud platform which can manage most DrayTek products - routers, wireless access points and Ethernet switches, giving you complete visibility and control of your DrayTek product estate, even without a DrayTek Vigor router on site.
The DrayTek VigorACS management system can be used to configure and provision DrayTek VigorAP access points, similarly to performing these actions through the VigorAP's web interface, with a familiar menu layout in the Configuration section of VigorACS.
Profiles for groups of access points can be provisioned in VigorACS by selecting a VigorACS network, then accessing Configuration > AP Profile to configure profiles and apply them selectively.
Central Management with a DrayTek Router
For further details of the central management feature, click here .
The VigorAP 918R can operate in standalone autonomous mode, but can also form part of a centrally managed wireless installation by adding a compatible DrayTek wireless controller such as the Vigor 2862 router. This enables you to centrally control, manage and administer multiple AP devices installed around your building/campus. Management also enables efficient usage of your wireless access point through load-balancing, whereby wireless clients are distributed across several access points to reduce congestion.
The DrayTek router operating as the wireless controller can provision DrayTek VigorAP access points using the Central AP Management profiles configured on the router, with an option to Auto Provision - auto configuring newly installed VigorAP access points with the Auto Provisioning profile, upon initial connection to the DrayTek Vigor router's network.
VigorAP 918R Series
|VAP918R-K||4710484720014||VigorAP 918R Outdoor Mesh 802.11ac Wireless Access Point|
|VAP918RPD-K||4712909129879||VigorAP 918RPD Outdoor Mesh 802.11ac Wireless Access Point with Directional Antenna and PoE-PSE Output|
- Outdoor Mesh Wireless Access Point and Range Extender
- IP67 - Designed to provide reliable wireless outdoors in all conditions
- AC1300 - 11ac 'Wave 2' Dual Band Wireless with Omni-Directional Antennas
- 5GHz High-Gain Directional Antenna, up to 866Mbps Point-to-Point link (RPD model)
- Gigabit Ethernet port with Power over Ethernet Input
- VigorAP 918RPD provides 2nd Gigabit Ethernet port with PoE Output
- Centrally Managed or Standalone operation
Technical Specification (UK Hardware Spec.)
- Access Point
- Range Extender
- Mesh Root
- Mesh Node
- 1 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN Port, RJ-45 (PoE-PD input)
- 1 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN Port, RJ-45 (PoE-PSE output, RPD model)
- Factory Reset Button (covered)
- Antenna Connectors: 2x RP-SMA Type
- Built-In Temperature & Humidity Sensor
- AC1300 Class Wireless Access Point
- 5GHz: PHY Rate 866Mb/s
- 2.4GHz: PHY Rate 400Mb/s
Wireless LAN Compatibility
- IEEE 802.11ac (Wave 1 & 2)/a/b/g/n
- Frequency Band 2.4 GHz & 5.8Ghz - Simultaneous Operation
- Up to 128 clients per radio – 256 total clients
- Mesh can use 2.4GHz or 5GHz radios for operation
2.4GHz Wireless LAN Features
- 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n
- 20 / 40 MHz
- Up to 400Mb/s total Wi-Fi throughput (PHY Rate):
- 802.11b/g/n: 300Mb/s PHY rate (150Mb/s per Spatial Stream)
- 256-QAM: 400Mb/s PHY rate (200Mb/s per Spatial Stream)
5Ghz Wireless LAN Features
- 802.11ac (Wave 1 & 2) / 802.11n / 802.11a
- 20 / 40 / 80 MHz
- Extended 5Ghz Band - Channels 100-140
- DFS/TPC Support
- Multi-User MIMO
- Up to 866Mb/s total Wi-Fi throughput (PHY Rate):
- 802.11a/n: 300Mb/s PHY rate (150Mb/s per Spatial Stream)
- 802.11ac: 866Mb/s PHY rate (433Mb/s per Spatial Stream)
Omni-Directional Wireless Antenna
- 2 x Antennae (supplied)
- RP-SMA fitting
- TX/RX Dual-Band
- 5GHz: 5 dBi
- 2.4GHz: 3.5 dBi
Directional High-Gain Wireless Antenna (RPD model)
- Internal (Weatherproof)
- 5GHz TX/RX
- 11 dBi Gain at 5GHz
- MIMO (2x2) antenna design
- 30 ° Horizontal Beam width
- 7.5 ° Vertical Beam width
- Wireless Encryption:
- WPA2-Personal (WPA2/PSK)
- Mixed (WPA2+WPA3)/PSK*
- also supports WPA/WEP (Not recommended)
- MAC Address Filtering (ACL) - Up to 256 entries
- Built in 802.1x server (PEAP / EAP-TLS)
- 802.1x RADIUS Proxy (PEAP / EAP-TLS)
- PMK Caching & Pre-authentication
- Wireless Client Isolation
- Control Isolation of 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
- Hidden SSIDs (Selectable)
- WPS - WiFi Protected Setup
- Mobile Device Management
- EAPOL Key Retry - Disable EAPOL Key Retry to protect unpatched WLAN clients from KRACK
- Wireless Encryption:
Wireless Management Features
- 802.1q VLAN
- Up to four distinct SSIDs (for VLANs) for each frequency band (2.4/5Ghz)
- o Multi-SSID over Mesh – New! Separate internal and Guest networks over Mesh (requires firmware 1.3.2)*
- Wireless Client Status List in WUI
- Client Limit per radio
- Client Limit per SSID - New!
- MAC Cloning
- Built-in DHCP Server & DHCP Relay
- Trusted DHCP Server IP for WLAN - New! - Only specified DHCP server IP can assign IP addresses to WLAN clients
- Station Control - Time limit wireless connectivity per Station (e.g. 1 hour) & set allowed Reconnection time (e.g. 1 day)
- Device Object/Group Control - New! - Schedule Internet access for individual devices or groups
- Wireless Auto On/Off - New! - Disable Wireless if VigorAP is unable to ping specified host
Wireless Performance Optimisation
- Airtime Fairness
- Band Steering
- Client Steering – 802.11v*
- AP-Assisted Client Mobility
- Fast Roaming - 802.11r*
- WMM (Wireless MultiMedia)
- Bandwidth Management (Per Station / Per SSID)
- System Log
- Speed Test
- Traffic Graph - AP Traffic & Per Station
- Data Flow Monitor - View live traffic usage per WLAN client
- Wireless LAN Statistics
- Interference Monitor - Built-in Site Surveyor
- Integrated Temperature & Humidity Sensor
- Web Interface (HTTP/HTTPS)
- DHCP Client
- TR-069 Control (For VigorACS or other TR-069 platform)
- CLI (Command Line Interface) – Telnet
- Access Control List for management interfaces
- Firmware upgrade by TR-069/HTTP
- Central AP Management (from compatible DrayTek router/controller)
- SNMP v2, v2c, v3
- Management VLAN
- Configuration File Export (with password) & Import
- Maximum Power Consumption:
- VigorAP 918R: up to 18 Watts
- VigorAP 918RPD without PoE-PSE Passthrough: up to 18 Watts
- VigorAP 918RPD with PoE-PSE Passthrough: 43.2 Watts
- PoE-PSE - Passthrough Power Output at 100m (VigorAP 918RPD):
- 802.3at power source: up to 12 Watts output
- VigorPoE-600 PoE Injector power source: up to 18 Watts output
- PoE Standards: 802.3at
- PoE adapter not supplied, requires PoE injector such as the VigorPoE-600 or a PoE switch such as the VigorSwitch P1092
- Maximum Power Consumption:
Environmental & Physical
- Operating Temperature: -40 ° C to 70 ° C
- Operating Humidity: 5% to 95% (Non-condensing)
- Physical Dimensions:
- Height without Antenna & Port Covers: 244mm
- Height with Antenna & Port Covers: 460mm
- Width: 161mm
- Depth: 72mm
- Weight: 1kg
- Pole or Wall Mountable
- VigorAP 918R series wireless access point
- 2x Dual-Band Outdoor Antenna
- 2x Stainless Adjustable Pipe Clamps
- Ground Wire (1 Meter Length)
- Quick Start Guide
- Ethernet Cable
- Directional Mounting Kit (VigorAP 918RPD only)
ROHS & CE Compliant
- Two (2) Year Manufacturer's RTB
- Optional VigorCare Enhanced Warranty Available
- VigorCare B3 3 Year Subscription: VCARE-B3
- VigorCare B5 5 Year Subscription: VCARE-B5